A lawsuit against Facebook, Google, and Twitter brought by victims and relatives of the Dec. 2015 San Bernardino shooting was dismissed. The suit sought to hold the tech companies liable for letting the Islamic State flourish on their platforms. The judge wrote ‘A contrary conclusion poses boundless litigation risk and is not tenable given how interconnected communication services are with modern economic and social life.’ Authorities have said the shooters were inspired by Islamic militants.
- Can social media companies be held liable for radical content on their platforms?
- Is free speech more important that policing radical content online?
(Reuters) – Federal judges have dismissed lawsuits seeking to hold Facebook (FB.O), Google (GOOGL.O) and Twitter (TWTR.N) liable in San Bernardino, California, for allowing Islamic State to flourish on their social media platforms in December 2015.
FILE PHOTO: a memorial outside the Inland Regional Center (IRC) where 14 people were killed last month by a couple inspired by Islamist activists in San Bernardino, California, on 4 January 2016.
In a decision late Monday in San Francisco, U.S. Judge Laurel Beeler said that the attack, which killed 14 people and injured 22 others, was not the direct result of the alleged provision of resources to the Islamic State by the companies.