Lawsuit Over Migrant Toddler’s Death
First reported by Abcnews.go.com
- A Guatemalan mother is suing the federal government for $60 million after her young daughter died while in ICE custody.
- Yazmin Juarez and her daughter Mariee were detained for 20 days after illegally crossing the border earlier this year.
- Yazmin says her daughter became sick while in ICE custody and didn’t receive proper medical attention. The toddler ended up dying several weeks later at a hospital.
- Now attorneys have filed a $60 million lawsuit claiming the medical care for Mariee was “woefully inadequate, neglectful, and substandard”.
- Do you think detained migrants are being handled safely and fairly by ICE?
- Should the mother be due anything when she entered the country illegally?
— ABC News (@ABC) December 6, 2018
Mariee died because the medical care she received at the Dilley detention facility was woefully inadequate, neglectful, and substandard https://t.co/oiQFVV0Vq7
— Indivisible Network (@IndivisibleNet) December 6, 2018
— World News Tonight (@ABCWorldNews) December 6, 2018
— Nicole Snow (@tempusviators) December 6, 2018